Friday, October 15, 2010

Why?

About a month ago, I spent an afternoon at MadCon 2010, a science fiction convention, with my husband and his buddy John. I sat in on a panel discussion on story-writing. One of the panelists suggested a goal of writing at least 50 words a day. Another suggested writing a bad time, because if you can write then, you can write anytime anywhere. In a smaller discussion that day, I got to hear Peter David, a well-known author, read a short story he’d written that was so new he hadn’t even sent it to a publisher yet. It was beautiful, and I hope you all have the chance to read it someday.

About two weeks later, that afternoon inspired me to pick up a pen to write creatively on a daily basis again…something I haven’t really done for about 20 years. I wrote constantly from age 10 to 18. Then I let life get in the way and only wrote for research and in the journal I’ve kept since I was 12 or 13. I’ve written a bit on and off since then, but never for more than a few weeks. It’s a part of me I’ve missed. “50 Words a Day Laid Bare” is my attempt to change all that, and to force me to share my work instead of hoarding it all in yet another binder that I share with almost no one and only on rare occasions.


For fun, I’ll start with a few pieces I wrote those first 8 years and a smattering of work from subsequent fits and starts. I promise I’ll get to the new stuff in a few days.

Don't be shy about leaving comments. In fact, I look forward to reading them!


No comments:

Post a Comment