Friday, November 29, 2019

Mid Life #1: We are Here



Generation X didn’t start the fire. We looked at it and said, “Whatever.” We are no longer young adults. Most of us have not and will not set the world on fire. The demographics say there are far fewer of us than the generations that book end us. We hear about them all the time. but we are here, too. We exist.

Sometimes, I think I’m old. Awhile back, my boss referred to my younger office mate and I as Laverne and Shirley.  She didn’t know who that was, so I sent her a link to the opening credits. A couple of minutes later, she turned to me and said, “I get it.” More recently, she told me she hopes she’s as cool as me when she’s my age. That is the best compliment I’ve been given in a long time. My office-mate, is one of the good ones.

Talking with a friend recently, I mentioned that we are getting old after the phrase “a quarter century” was used. He countered that no, we’re just getting started. You know what? We’re both right. By the time you’re in your mid-40s, a lot of milestones are behind us, but there is a lot ahead of us, too. Don't look behind. The past is gone. Look ahead.

https://www.thehenryford.org/visit/henry-ford-museum/exhibits/your-place-in-time/






No comments:

Post a Comment